Wednesday, August 22, 2007

hormones & the corporate world

Today I actually found time to tweeze my eyebrows - long over due. Honestly, every time I do it I think "why am I slavishly adhering to this custom? it hurts!" And then I pull out more of my own hair. (isn't pulling out ones hair a mental disorder listed in the DSM?)

Well, our apartment has a great big vanity and very fine lighting. The combination resulted in my seeing something I had never seen before - black mustache hairs on my very own upper lip! SCARY! Crossing the 40 threshold has troubled me at times - and this morning was one of those times. By the way - if any of you ever noticed my 'stache and didn't tell me ... well, please, don't let me go around looking like that!

The realization of the unwanted decorative feature put me in my place after having our banker guess me to be 32 years old yesterday. Maybe she was just sucking up. Obviously she didn't notice the premenopausal issue on my face. Enough about my personal beauty regimen.

I started work at the world's leading security company today - ADT. The corporate world has its imperfections, but I can at least feel very good about this company and the work I'll be doing. My first assignment will be dispatching police, fire, and medical crews for people in emergency situations. The company offers rapid advancement, great benefits (for example $75oo/year education benefit for tuition and books) and what seems to be a positive and comfortable work environment. There were only a few Dilbert/Office Space moments.

And finally - we agreed upon a great price with the aforementioned house. We'll have inspections soon and know if all is a "GO".

* Kelso's is a neighborhood restaurant - great name, OK food.

** Titus enjoyed a free ice cream cone at McDonalds compliments of his teacher after the first day of school.

*** 2104 Fayette - our potential future home!

4 comments:

Joanne said...

Hi Nan and Ray, I haven't been able to post a comment. Tried 3 times , but no luck. This a new test message, and I'll see if it goes thru. Love your blog. Pics so cute of Titus. And loved the whole hormone thing. I guess its the ol electric razor for you !!
Your other mom,
Joanne

Joanne said...

Yippee ! I'm up and current with your blog. I didn't make the cut to get your blog address !!! but your mom gave it to me !
joanne

the hancocks said...

Nancy,
I've got to tell you: there's just no winning the mustache war. You wax, it comes back darker and thicker. Trust me; my sad confession is that I've been doing it since Jr. High. Let me know if you find any brilliant solutions!
p.s. I love your blog =)

Heather Weber said...

hey guys! I'm finally just checking this out. your job sounds great. glad things are shaping up for you down there. i'm jealous of the cool food.
Una enjoyed seeing titus eat an ice cream cone and she says hi and she misses him....

i'll have to read more of the blog later...it's off to school now.
love,
heather