Monday, August 27, 2007

the beauty of 5

As we all knew would happen, Titus won the poll for best looking. I think he'd also win a poll for most delightful. Five is such a wonderful age. Titus soaks up everything and out it comes in the most enchanting ways.

Saturday our friend Aaron came for a visit. During our road tour of the Northland, Titus broke out in song. "Shoo fly, don't bother me...for I belong to somebody...I feel like a morning star." I wish I could put a sound file on here. It is about the cutest thing I've ever heard in the world. Of course, the cute factor goes off the chart when you see him perform live in the backseat with sincere facial expression and expansive gestures - arms waving, tight hugs, and head shaking. Is there a way to bottle those moments?

Tonight on my dinner break, I called home to say hello to my guys. Ray was busy cooking, so he put T on the line right away. I was thrilled that he was in a talkative mood because often he 'forgets' everything that happened at school. But the talkativeness was of atomic magpie proportions! He started in on the Three Billy Goats Gruff - in great detail, complete with character voices - and wouldn't stop. On and on he went, one line of the story after the next (verbatim, I'm sure!) and I needed to get back to my training. "Honey, Momma has to go now." was totally drowned out by 'klip-klop across the bridge'. He was in a zone. And I really had to go. I must have told him 10 times that I had to get off the phone - but on and on he went.

Not able to bring myself to hang up on my own son, I got louder. Finally, the story was over. Just in time -

Ray says Titus told him the story too - complete with actions, voices, inflections, and all the details, of course!

Sunday at church we met a woman who was a high school English & Drama teacher before taking a job as an editor for the Nazarene Publishing House. She wants to start doing some kids drama productions. I think we have the perfect little actor at our place!

No comments: