Thursday, July 31, 2008

free at last

I got the call today. The good news call, that is. I will be the lead teacher at Jackson House, an alternative residential center with the KCMO school district. Although the facility is not conventional, the position is classified as a standard teaching position which means a regular school day, vacations, in-service workshops, benefits, etc.

My commute will be about 15 minutes. If you're familiar with KC at all, I'll be working just a few blocks from the Crown Center. I have much to learn about the facility. All that I know is that it is a boys only facility for kids involved with the courts system. We have a max of 15 kids at a time, and they use an educational software program called Plato. I will be part of a team, with specific responsibilities for the academic portion of the day. Kids will be there from 2 or 3 days to 2 or 3 weeks.

Beyond that, I have no clue! What an adventure, huh? I feel equipped for what lies ahead and know that at least prep and grading will be minimal. As the director said, what these boys need is someone to love them and care for them. I'm up for that.

Perhaps the best part is that my 11 month stint as an emergency dispatch operator at ADT is DONE!

4 comments:

Heather Weber said...

congratulations nancy. I am so happy for you.

Anonymous said...

Congrats Nancy! Glad one of the two options worked out and that you can get back to doing something you love.

Amy & Brian

Melodie Booton said...

hurray and hallelujah! i'm happy fo you.

the hancocks said...

I hope you're having a fabulous vacation! We're excited to celebrate with you guys about the new job soon!