Wednesday, June 18, 2008

another hoop


Today I got a call from the North Kansas City High School principal offering me an interview for a school counselor position. Yippee, yahoo! This is my dream job, and I'm pretty confident I'm going to be offered the job. Counting my little unhatched chickens, you say? Well, the fact is that I met a co-chair of the counseling department last week. She gave me the inside skinny. They had offered the job to someone else, but that person declined. She was lamenting their predicament - no other interviewees had any high school experience and none had knowledge of the SASI program used to schedule classes.

I was a bit perplexed at why they would not have interviewed me, since I have both experience at the high school level and have not only used SASI, but also was primarily responsible for its implementation at IMS (the school in Iowa where I used to work). She encouraged me to contact the principal, who replied with a hopeful, but curious statement.

"Complete the on-line district application, and I'll have the central office get in touch when they have your records." Odd. I did that last winter. I suspected that my double last name had once again been the complicating factor, an assumption proven true today when the district confirmed they were looking for me under "Weikal".

At any rate, I'm very thankful for all of the people who were a part of getting me this far in the process. Northtown is a great school. I did a lot of subbing there this past year and love the climate which has been cultivated. It was by far my favorite of the three schools in which I subbed. For that reason alone, it would have been my pick. But, it gets even better. My "commute" (should I get the job) will be 1/6th of a mile! No joke. The school is around the corner from our house.

If you want to check out the school's website, click on the picture. Also, note that the rounded portico is the entry to the student services office where the counselors are located...I'll keep you all posted!

1 comment:

Heather Weber said...

waaaahhoooo! I am so excited! I'm holding my breath for news!