Thursday, April 24, 2008

Love this town





Dearest loved ones,
I made it safely to the place they call "The Windy City," and boy, was that true, as I purt near got bucked out of my plane seat. I took the "orange train" to Roosevelt Station. People are very nice here and they sure are pious. They talk about Jesus Christ all the time. They also talk about their mothers a lot, though not necessarily in a kindly way. Anyhow, switched to the "red train" (didn't see any communists, though) and got off two exits too late. Had to turn around at Grand, I think, right next to the Really-Blowin'-Snot-That's-Expensive Mile.

Here's me and my new beauty spot at the train station exit (why is my nose taking a left turn?).
Everyone seems to be in a hurry here, so I authoritatively set out down the street and walked two blocks in the wrong direction. A nice man at a bus station let me know that "the lake is that way." Phew, thank you, sir! Got back on track and again tried to act like the locals, which mostly seems to involve stepping in front of turning taxis. Arrived safely at the hotel and got some latte in the smallest Starbucks I've ever seen, about the size of Titus' closet. Finished my last story for the week while sipping my drink in the hotel lobby. Was eventually allowed to check in. Here's me with my room's view of other buildings.

This afternoon, I walked with a couple of other reporter types to the Tribune building for a session about how to use technology to make reporters work a lot more than they already are. Once again, we set off with authority up Michigan Ave. After two blocks, the woman we were with started saying, "I thought the Tribune building was that way" while pointing in the direction opposite our own. Our little band's alpha male (not me) kept saying, "No, no. Trust me. It's this way." That was until he stopped and said, "Isn't the river north of us?" (negative)
Reorientated, we found the inconspicuous Tribune Building and made it to the session.
Tomorrow, I hope to get lost on the way to Lou Malnatti's.
Peace and love,
Ray

2 comments:

nancy said...

oh man, I miss Chicago! Eat some Lou's pizza for me. Hope you're having good weather honey.

ddv said...

hey i haven't read the blog yet cuz it's too late and i've got to go to bed.. but i love seeing a photo of ray! HI RAY!!!!!